Life

Each step of life is a journey that you choose to walk.

Each moment of life is another line, sentence, paragraph and chapter of the book called your life.

Enjoy all that life has to offer, good friends, good food, good coffee and as always wisdom and a good laugh.

~Jen





11 September 2011

Ten Years Ago...

was a day that changed our lives forever. I have read a few blogs today that have reflected the thoughts and feelings about today, ten years ago, and I know that the very thought of reflection is still very real and raw for many.
If you are new to my blog, and don't know much about me, let me tell you a little of who I am. I grew up as a military brat. My Dad is retired Air Force and I grew up on an always "ready alert". Not because we were always "at war", but to be honest, my Dad joined the Air Force in 1976, and we, as a nation, were just coming out of the Vietnam War. I was just a child and only really remember what I've read in history class. Growing up in the military is great, we moved all the time and I always had a sense of security. I never really thought much of the "evil" that is in the world because everyone I knew was defending good against evil.
In 1988 my Dad was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Our first (and only) overseas assignment. We spend 6 years there, and to this day it is "home". It was in Okinawa that I was introduced to the other military branches, and that is where I first understood war. I was there when the wall came down in Germany. I had many friends that were there. I was there when I had friends deployed to places of scrimmages, and it was there when "Desert Storm" initially happen in 1990 and a multitude of my friends were deployed for the desert with an uncertainty of when they would (or if they would) return. Since that time I have been very aware of the threat that is posed to us on a daily basis. I don't live in fear, but I am aware of the risks that are taken daily for my very freedom.
Since 1995 I have not been around a military instillation as I had when I was growing up. I don't live on base, and I get a feeling of honor and nostalgia when I see a person in uniform. I know that world and understand it better than most. So, on September 11, 2001, when my Mother called me to tell me to turn on the TV, I was in so much shock, that all I could do is say No, No, No, wait, this can't really be happening. It was so surreal. I was in my living room, of my first non military home, with my daughter at my feet and my new born son on my hip. I stood there, just watching the first tower burn, and then as the second plane dived into the second tower, I thought I was going to throw up, or faint, or both. I really could not believe my own eyes. I just wept..or rather cried uncontrollably for all those people, people that I had never met, or would never meet on this side of heaven. I thought about all the lives that were taken in just that brief moment, and wondered, to myself, how many knew who Jesus was, and if they were saved from eternal damnation. Then I heard of the other planes. 4 all together. So many lost. In the 10 years since I have seen many changes occur in our country. Doubt, Superstition, Hatred, Higher Security seem to be on the top of the list. Yes, they were terrible people that did a terrible thing. Yes, I believe that what happened was wrong and unjustifiable. But I believe even more in a loving, forgiving and healing God. I believe that His word holds true and that we are to continue to love one another. Mark 12:31 says, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” and God's word says in Matthew 6:14-15, " For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions." My prayer is for us to find peace and forgiveness as we continue to heal as a nation, as a people. No, don't ever forget, but I urge you to forgive. ~Peace & Blessings~ Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment